Seasoned Trial Lawyers in Oklahoma and Arkansas

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Family Law
  4.  | 
  5. Child Custody
  6.  | Interstate & International Jurisdiction

Interstate & International Jurisdiction

Our Skilled Attorneys Can Help You Resolve Technically Challenging and Emotionally Difficult Interstate or International Child Custody Matters

Every state requires that child custody decisions be made in the child’s best interest, and the default rule is that it’s in every child’s best interest to have a continuing relationship with both parents. To that end, you and your former spouse worked out a custody agreement—or had one ordered by the court—during your divorce proceedings. In addition to determining who has the legal authority to make decisions for the child, the custody agreement or court order outlined where the child would reside and the custody and visitation rights of the non-custodial parent.

What happens if a parent wishes to relocate to a different part of the state—or another state entirely—and take the child with them? As relocation could potentially affect the non-custodial parent’s ability to maintain a stable and meaningful relationship with their child, parents must have certain moves approved by the court, and there’s a system in place for when the other parent objects.

Relocation isn’t the only child custody issue parents can face. In extreme cases, one parent may decide to flout the custody order completely and abscond across state lines or even international borders without the proper approval.

Fortunately, whether you’re a custodial parent proposing a move, a non-custodial parent opposing a relocation, or fighting for the safe return of your child following an interstate or international parental abduction, the accomplished child custody attorneys with Bundy Law can help.

Interstate and International Jurisdiction Cases We Handle

Our attorneys assist clients with a variety of jurisdiction issues, including:

  • Child abductions
  • Child custody jurisdiction
  • International travel of minor children
  • Relocation
  • Registration and enforcement of foreign decrees

We have special experience, education, and insight into the framework established by various laws governing these types of cases, including the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which is designed to discourage interstate parental kidnapping and promote uniform jurisdiction and enforcement provisions for interstate child custody and visitation.

Relocating With Your Child

If you intend to change your child’s primary residence, the law requires you to notify the child’s other parent. The notice must be sent at least 60 days in advance (or no less than 10 days after determining a move is necessary) and include specific information, such as:

  • Proposed date of the move
  • Intended new physical address (and mailing address, if different)
  • Home telephone number
  • Specific reasons for relocation
  • Proposed revised visitation schedule for the non-custodial parent
  • How long the non-custodial parent has to file an objection

Proposing a move—and a significant change to child custody arrangements—can be complicated. If your notice fails to meet the appropriate legal requirements, the court could deny your relocation request. We can deftly handle all aspects of your relocation case from start to finish.

A parent wishing to relocate a child must follow the appropriate legal steps prior to making a move.

Opposing a Relocation

Do you object to a move proposed by your child’s custodial parent? You have just 30 days to file your objection with the court or risk having the court grant the relocation without your input. In your objection, as well as at the subsequent hearing, you’ll be required to give reasons why you feel the move isn’t in your child’s best interests. These cases can be complex, which is why you need an adept attorney to protect your rights.

Parental Child Abductions

If your child’s other parent has broken your custody agreement and taken them across state lines or out of the country, our attorneys can use our extensive knowledge of the relevant laws to help bring them home. We’re well-equipped to handle both interstate and international parental child abduction cases. Attorney Aaron D. Bundy is intimately familiar with the Hague Convention rules governing most international parental abductions, and he is on the U.S. State Department’s referral list for Hague Convention abduction matters. Aaron is the only fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers in either Arkansas or Oklahoma.

Let Us Handle Your Interstate and International Jurisdiction Case

Want to learn more about how our highly skilled attorneys can help with your case? Contact us today to schedule an appointment for a private consultation.